zur Hauptseite

Geschäftsbereich P

Navigation und Service

Service for Employees from EU Member States

  1. Registration with the foreigners' registration office
  2. Application for a certificate confirming the right of residence as an EU citizen

EU citizens and their dependents have the right to travel to and reside in Germany. This is verified by a certificate confirming the right of residence, which is issued to each EU citizen upon application to the foreigners' authorities.

Jülich County Council: Website Stadt Jülich

  1. Completion of formalities related to rights of residence for the worker and his/her family
  2. Application for tax cards
  3. Requests for certificates of good conduct

All citizens residing within the Federal Republic of Germany are obliged to register their place of residence with the appropriate local Residence Registration Office.

Social security

  1. Advice on appropriate health insurance funds and applications for health insurance (no brokering)
  2. Advice on supplementary insurance such as the federal and state pension fund (VBL), third-party liability, etc.

Important information

Residence as a scholarship holder

Scholarship holders must take out private health insurance - either from an insurance company in Germany or from an insurance company in their native country.

Residence with a contract of employment

For appointments within the framework of a contract of employment, the salary is decisive as to whether the employee may take out private health insurance or whether he/she must pay statutory health insurance.

Health insurance is compulsory for all employees in Germany. Up to a set annual gross income, which is recalculated each year by the legislator, employees must pay into a statutory health fund. The general contribution rate for statutory health insurance was set at 14.6 % on 01.01.2009 with the introduction of the national health funds (ordinance in force).

Contributions to insurance funds are deducted directly from an employee's gross salary by their employer. The employer generally pays half of the contribution rate for health insurance, while the employee pays the other half. However, the employee must pay 0.9 % of his/her gross salary as an extra contribution for nursing care insurance.

In addition to the above, employees should also take out third-party liability insurance. This insurance protects affected parties in the case of accidents or damages that occur outside of work.

Social legislation

Application for social benefits such as children's allowance, family allowance, housing allowance, etc.

Children's allowance

EU/EEA citizens

Employees who are citizens of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) are automatically entitled to a children's allowance provided that their place of residence is Germany.

Non-EU citizens

If the employee holds a settlement permit, an EC long-term residence permit, a residence permit for the purposes of gainful employment or a researchers' visa, then he/she is usually also entitled to receive a children's allowance.

Family allowance

EU/EEC citizens

Employees who are citizens of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) are entitled to a family allowance provided that their place of residence is Germany.

Non-EU citizens

Individuals who hold a settlement permit fulfil all requirements. Individuals who hold a residence permit are only entitled to receive a family allowance if they have been granted authorization to work in Germany. Parents from other countries are not entitled to receive a family allowance if they hold a residence permit for the purpose of training and education or if they hold a limited residence permit.

Tax law

  1. Advice on tax-related issues (choice of tax bracket, commuting allowances, compliance with the double taxation agreement)
  2. Preparation of income tax returns

Residence as a scholarship holder

Workers who have been granted residence in Germany as scholarship holders are exempt from German income tax law provided they fulfil certain conditions. You should consult your foundation or funding body and ask whether tax must be paid in your native country on the scholarship that you receive in Germany.

Residence with a contract of employment

Employees who have contract of employment for a research stay in Germany lasting more than six months must generally pay tax in Germany on their total earnings throughout the world and on all of their assets. For stays less than six months, tax must be paid on the salary earned in the employee's native country if the employee has worked for a foreign employee and a double taxation agreement is in place whereby the right to tax has been assigned to the native country. If such an agreement does not exist, income tax must be paid in Germany. Tax due is deducted directly from an employee's salary.

There are agreements in place with certain countries allowing university lecturers and researchers who come to Germany for a maximum of two years and who conduct research in a public research institution to pay their taxes in their native country.

At the end of each calendar year, employees can lodge an application to have their income tax adjusted with their local tax office. Under certain conditions, some of the taxes paid may be refunded.

General information

Current information and tips on German courses, schools, crèches and kindergartens, driving licences, etc.

Please note that kindergarten places for children who are not yet old enough to attend school must be reserved in good time. Children must attend school in Germany from the age of 6.


Children between the ages of 3 and 6 may attend kindergarten. In Germany, there are a range of kindergartens: confessional, public, or alternative/non-denominational kindergartens. The cost of sending a child to kindergarten usually depends on the parents' salary. Depending on the type of kindergarten you choose, your child will be there for the morning, afternoon or for the full day. Forschungszentrum Jülich also has a kindergarten.

Compulsory school attendance

In Germany, school is compulsory for children between the ages of 6 and 18. Depending on the length of time the children are resident in Germany, they must either register to attend a German school or they can apply to be made except from compulsory school attendance. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. There is also an option of sending children to an international school.

Driving licences

EU citizens who hold a valid driving licence are entitled to drive in Germany. If a driving licence is limited (e.g. Italian or Dutch licences), it must be renewed in the employee's native country. There is also the possibility of applying to the road traffic authority for a German driving licence.
For non-EU citizens, the regulations regarding driving licences are more complicated. They are entitled to drive a vehicle with their national driving licence for up to 6 months after their arrival in Germany. From the seventh month of their residence, they must apply to the road traffic authority for a German driving licence. If they fail to do so, they will be liable for high fines.