Research and Projects
The research activities of the Simulation Laboratory cover these areas:
- climate modelling
- numerical weather prediction
- modelling of atmospheric radiative transfer
- analyses of remote sensing observations
- high-performance computing
Team members are working on these specific topics:
- coupling of Lagrangian transport models with climate codes
- assesment of photochemical lifetimes of long-lived trace species
- modelling of clouds and precipitation at ultra-high spatial resolution
- characterization of stratospheric gravity waves based on satellite observations
- detection of volcanic emissions based on infrared remote sensing measurements
- studies of microphysical properties of polar stratospheric clouds
- validation of satellite remote sensing measurements
We are associated partners in these projects:
- BMBF initiative "High-definition Clouds and Precipitation HD(CP)2"
- G8 ESC project "Enabling Climate Simulations at Extreme Scale"
We have contributed to these projects:
- Performance assessments for the proposed ESA satellite mission PREMIER
- Research cluster "The Reacting Atmosphere - Understanding and Management for Future Generations"