Division High-Performance Computing Systems
Head of the division High-Performance Computing Systems
Phone: +49 2461 61-6434
Fax: +49 2461 61-6656
To solve many different computing problems in a scientific environment efficiently, more than one computer architecture has to be exploited. The HPS division (High-Performance Computing Systems) within Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC) is responsible for integrating these systems/clusters into a production enviroment.
To achieve this purpose and to guarantee 7x24 operations HPS develops tools and algorithms for
- system installation and customization
- system administration and monitoring for operation without operators
- analysis and solution of problems
- usage model for batch systems
- performance measurements and tuning of system parameters
- user authentication, accounting and quotas
- integration of high-capacity storage-systems and tape libraries
- fast data communication between several systems
HPS also develops system extensions, integrates specialized software, and cooperates with vendors and other partners to establish a stable and rich data processing environment for research and development projects inside and outside Forschungszentrum Jülich. An example of such a cooperation is the PRACE project.