Information, data and free access to communication networks are sensitive values, particularly in the fields of science and research. The protection of these resources and of the associated information technology (IT) equipment is the subject of IT security.
- Confidentiality of information
- Integrity of information
- Availability of resouces (information/services/systems)
- Non-repudiation of information
JSC provides services and resources for the operational IT security at Research Centre Jülich and thereby supports the tasks of the IT Security Officer.
IT security services of JSC consist of the following components:
- Acceptance, coordination and handling of security incidents (FZJ-CERT)
- Operation of key security components (such as firewalls, intrusion detection / prevention systems.)
- Provisioning and maintenance of software, virus scanners (local and central) and the associated central server components
- X.509 Certificate Management
- SSH Key Management,
- Vulnerability scanning and penetration testing
- Consultancy for the secure configuration of computers and devices
- Advising on and implementation of local and central security solutions
- Contributing to the definition and implementation of control measures for systems with high or very high protection requirements,
Documentation and training
With this work JSC performs IT security management tasks as defined in the IT Security Policy of the Research Center Jülich (IR 119-1). The IT Security Policy is mandatory for all administrators and users of IT systems at FZJ.
Besides this, JSC works on research and development issues in the field of IT security. The Communication Systems Departement of JSC participates in national and international projects in the development of IT security solutions. Beta-testing of high-speed firewalls, intrusion detection / prevention, and security monitoring as well as participation in international standardization efforts in the field of dynamic configuration of firewalls provide early insight into new developments.
The expertise acquired and strengthened through these activities enables JSC to design, implement and operate customized and up-to-date IT security solutions in the complex environment of a multiply cross-linked research and supercomputing center.
WARNING: Do not send email from a system if you are concerned that it has been compromised!