Methods and Technologies at the
Jülich Plant Phenotyping Centre
The stationary NMR systems for measurements of plant structure and function
The 7 Tesla system
- Wide-bore 89 mm magnet, equipped with a 300 mT/m mini-gradient system from Bruker.
used for objects with a diameter less than 34 mm (pot size). Simple climatisation system is available.
The 4.7 Tesla system
Wide-bore, 310 mm magnet, equipped with a 300 mT/m 210 mm wide gradient system. Different r.f. coils available.
- 63 mm quad birdcage
- 104 mm quad birdcage
- 170 mm quad birdcage
- 40 mm openable birdcage
- small r.f. coils manufactured locally
- Heavy objects up to 500 kg can be lifted into the magnet using a crane. Objects up to 200 kg can be positioned with a computer-controlled positioning system for repetitive studies with an accuracy of about 20 µm.
- environmental control systems complete the system.
The 1.5 Tesla system
The split coil magnet is unique in its kind. It is equiped with 50 mT/m 380 mm and 800 mT/m 120 mm planar gradient sets. Different r.f. coils are available
- 63 mm solenoid
- 140 mm solenoid
- several home-build splittable/wrappable solenoids
- Heavy objects, like trees with large pots/containers can be lowered into a pit a 2 meters deep. Objects up to 5 meter can be measured.