We are looking to recruit a
- Develop new acquisition schemes and workflows based on novel hardware to advance low-dose cryo-EM techniques
- Improve sample handling workflows focusing on single-particle and/or tomography data collection combined with CLEM/FIB-SEM approaches
- Support data acquisition and evaluation for in-house and external users on novel hardware, with the following possible focus areas: 3D image processing of single-particle and/or tomography data and/or FIB-SEM operation for the preparation of cryo-FIB lamellae of vitrified cells
- Improving methodology for high-resolution cryo-EM structure determination at the ER-C-3 for structural biology
- Masters degree in biology, physics or related field
- Strong communication skills and ability to work with internal colleagues and external visitors in an international and interdisciplinary team
- Several years of experience in cryo-electron microscopy in structural biology or material science
- Experience with microscopy hardware and performing customized automation tasks using scripting
- The chance to work at one of the largest research centers in Germany, with excellent scientific equipment and leading European computational resources, located on a green campus, and near the cultural centres Köln, Düsseldorf and Aachen. The Jülich Campus also hosts a vibrant biophysics, bioinformatics and structural biology community.
- Direct access to high-level cryo-EM infrastructure at the Ernst-Ruska Centre. The facility has been extended with state-of-the-art cryo-microscopes an FIB-SEMs of ThermoFisher Titan Krios, Talos Arctica and FIB-SEM Aquilos 2. Future extension of an ERC 2.0 facility already in planning.
- Excellent manufacturer support and very rapid response time for equipment maintenance and development in the context of the large Ernst Ruska-Centre facility.
- The development within a long-term supported scientific infrastructure is embedded in competitive structural biology research of the ER-C-3: https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/er-c/er-c-3/groups/cryo-em
- Working in a dynamic team of researchers with backgrounds in different disciplines across biology, chemistry, physics and informatics to advance cryo-EM methods.
- A wide range of scientific challenges covering imaging, image processing and structure determination for structural biology.
- Full-time position with 30 days of annual leave
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
We offer you an exciting and varied role in an international and interdisciplinary working environment. The position is initially for a fixed term of 2 years, with possible long-term prospects. Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD).
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
We look forward to receiving your application. The job will be advertised until the position has been successfully filled. You should therefore submit your application as soon as possible.Apply now
Questions about the offer?
Please feel free to contact us via our contact form.
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications by e-mail.