Building on in-house fabricated devices, we have recently demonstrated the ability to shuttle electrons between gate defined quantum dots in Si/SiGe over micron-scale distances using only four different AC-voltages, independent of the distance covered https://arxiv.org/abs/2108.00879 . Theoretical consideration indicate good prospects for maintaining spin-coherence of the shuttled electron, which would make this approach very promising for scaling up semiconductor spin qubit devices. This position focuses on experimentally demonstrating coherent spin shuttling, shuttling-compatible high-fidelity qubit control and further ingredients for a shuttling-based architecture, using devices from academic or industrial fabrication.
Key activities can include:
- Demonstration and experimental characterization of spin coherence during shuttling
- Shuttling-compatible demonstration of high-fidelity qubit control
- Demonstration of T-Junctions (Fig. 1(b)) as step towards qubit grids
- Advancement of a shuttling based architecture with 2D-connectivity
- Migration to industrially fabricated devices
- Master’s degree and PhD in physics or a similar discipline
- In-depth experience with quantum control experiments on quantum dot qubits
- Good software development skills
- Experience with sub-Kelvin cryogenic techniques
- Strong aptitude for mentoring students
- Good communication skills
- A strong drive to conduct ambitious, cutting edge research towards scalable quantum computing
- A research track record commensurate with our ambition
Besides the involvement in a very exciting research field, we offer:
- Involvement in a unique holistic approach spanning from exploring new ideas to their technological implementation
- A strong network, in particular with respect to semiconductor technology
- Innovative infrastructure
- Very good team atmosphere
- A balanced working environment
- A broader research environment with a strong quantum computing focus
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours and 30 days of annual leave
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
- Fun events, see https://www.quantuminfo.physik.rwth-aachen.de/go/id/zeyz/Fun-stuff/?lidx=1
While this announcement mostly targets a regular postdoc position, candidates with the appropriate track record will be considered for a permanent position as a research scientist now or at a later stage.
We offer you an exciting and varied role in an international and interdisciplinary working environment. The position is initially for a fixed term of 2 years, with possible long-term prospects. Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD).
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.