We are offering a
PhD-Position - Development of scalable superconducting quantum systems
This position focuses on building, operating, and testing superconducting quantum devices. Your tasks in detail are:
- Design and fabrication of superconducting quantum circuits
- Setting up experimental systems for cryogenic measurements
- Development of a microwave quantum control & readout stack
- Development of Python code to operate quantum systems
- Detailed experimental characterization of superconducting qubits to quantify performance and identify limiting physical mechanisms
- Perform quantum device calibrations, benchmarking, and run quantum algorithms
- Presenting and publishing the research on an international stage
- Master in physics, electrical engineering or a comparable discipline
- Knowledge of solid state physics and/or quantum information
- Experience with programming, preferable with Python
- Fluent speaking and writing skills in English
- Team-oriented and highly motivated to work in an experimental laboratory
- A background in quantum computing as well as experience with cryogenics, signal delivery, microfabrication, materials optimization, and microwave control are highly preferred qualifications
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- A large research campus with green spaces, offering the best possible means for networking with colleagues and pursuing sports alongside work
- Comprehensive training courses and individual opportunities for personal and professional further development
- Extensive company health management
- Ideal conditions for balancing work and private life, as well as a family-friendly corporate policy
- Flexible work (location) arrangements, e.g. remote work
- 30 days of annual leave and provision for days off between public holidays and weekends (e.g. between Christmas and New Year)
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. through an extensive range of training courses; a structured program of continuing education and networking opportunities specifically for doctoral researchers via JuDocS, the Jülich Center for Doctoral Researchers and Supervisors: https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/judocs
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
To apply, please submit a complete CV, letter of motivation, university degree records (both Bachelor`s and Master`s degree),
The position is for a fixed term of 3,5 years. Pay in line with 50% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment („Christmas bonus“). Pay higher than the basic pay may be possible. Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: https://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
We look forward to receiving your application. The job will be advertised until the position has been successfully filled. You should therefore submit your application as soon as possible.Apply now
Questions about the offer?
Please feel free to contact us via our contact form.
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications by e-mail.