JSPS Research Fellowships for Doctoral and Postdoctoral Researchers to Study in Japan – DAAD
7 November 2022
The aim of the programme is to enable highly qualified German doctoral researchers and early-career scientists to spend a short period of research at universities and selected research institutions in Japan, in cooperation with the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS).
Who can apply?
The programme is open to early-career scientists and doctoral researchers of all disciplines of German nationality or with a permanent residence permit in Germany.
What can be funded?
Funding is provided for research projects at universities and selected research institutions in Japan.
The fellowship has a duration of
- 1 to 12 months for doctoral researchers
- 1 to 6 months for postdocs
The JSPS fellowship includes the following benefits:
- Outbound and return flights
- A monthly scholarship rate for doctoral researchers of approx. ¥ 200,000
- A monthly scholarship rate for postdoctoral researchers of approximately ¥ 362,000
- Travel health insurance
- For stays of three months or more, an initial allowance of approximately ¥ 200,000 is granted
- Funding can only be granted in instalments for each full month
Deadlines for applications depend on how long you will stay in Japan:
Fellowship started between 1 July 2023 and 30 September 2023
Submit applications to DAAD no later than 2 January 2023
Fellowship started between 1 October 2023 and 31 December 2023
Submit applications to DAAD no later than 30 April 2023
Please refer to the recent announcements from the crisis management group about business trips.