2023 Geoverbund ABC/J Young Academics Award
Supporting early-career scientists is a fundamental concern of Geoverbund ABC/J. This is why in 2023, Geoverbund ABC/J will for the 13th time be presenting the Geoverbund ABC/J Young Academics Award in recognition of outstanding, innovative, and interdisciplinary research in the field of geosciences, including geography. First prize is endowed with € 1,000 in prize money, while further awards are presented for second (€ 750) and third (€ 500) place.
- General information about Geoverbund ABC/J Young Academics Award
- What can be submitted as an entry?
- Who can apply?
- Information regarding the awarding of the prize
- Important information for competition entries that can be classed as basic research
- How can you apply?
General information about Geoverbund ABC/J Young Academics Award
Applications are now possible; closing date is 28 February 2023.
What can be submitted as an entry?
The subject of the competition is research activity with a geoscientific or geographical focus. Such activity can be demonstrated either in the form of a doctoral thesis or one or several publications that have appeared in SCI- or SCIE-listed journals with peer-review processes. If you wish to submit several publications as an entry for the competition, you must explain how the content of these publications is linked in a cover document. Furthermore, for publications written in co-authorship you will need to demonstrate your own contribution to the research performance. Entries that were submitted for one of the previous competitions cannot be submitted again.
Who can apply?
All scientists are eligible to apply whose competition entry is based or was developed at an institute connected to Geoverbund ABC/J. It is crucial that such an affiliation can be demonstrated for competition entries. The doctoral degree should have been completed no longer than three years ago, taking 28 February 2023 as a starting date. Proof of the final submission of the doctoral thesis is sufficient for an application.
Information regarding the awarding of the prize
The submitted entries are evaluated by independent reviewers according to their research performance, degree of innovation, and interdisciplinarity. The award is allocated by the directorate of Geoverbund ABC/J on the basis of the reviewers’ recommendations and in consideration of scientific aspects. The award ceremony takes place during Geoverbund ABC/J’s summer festival, where prize winners will present their entries in person.
Important information for competition entries that can be classed as basic research
The call for applications for the Geoverbund ABC/J young academics award is aimed at all innovative and interdisciplinary research work in the field of geosciences, including geography. The submission of pure basic research projects – whose direct social relevance is not apparent and/or is difficult or impossible to describe – is also explicitly encouraged and will be honoured according to the research quality. Such entries will, in particular, not be placed at a disadvantage in favour of entries that address socially relevant topics. Any details regarding a project’s social relevance in the registration form should therefore be considered optional.
How can you apply?
Send us your application or nomination, in which you have described the goals of the research work, provided examples of results, and outlined its outstanding significance in the relevant research field, and also attach the following documents:
- Application form
- Competition entry: doctoral thesis (dating back no later than three years ago) or one or several publications (accepted for publication within a period of no later than three years after completion of the doctorate; the starting date for this period in both instances is 28 February 2022), which have been published in SCI- or SCIE-listed journals with peer-review processes or accepted for publication (for entries involving several publications, you must explain how the content of these publications is linked in a cover document)
- Letter of recommendation
- Doctoral degree certificate or proof of final submission of the doctoral thesis
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form including publications list (a link to the relevant article must be provided for each publication)
Please submit all documents in the form of a single PDF document via email and also send the original application form complete with the signed declaration by post. The application should be submitted to:
Dr. Konstantin Ntageretzis
c/o Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the coordination office.
Subject to change.