Center of excellence “Virtual Institute - Power to Gas and Heat”
The center of excellence “Virtual Institute - Power to Gas and Heat” brings together the expertise of various research institutions in North Rhine-Westphalia to explore cross-sectoral flexibility options in the future energy system. As part of the sector coupling between the electricity, gas and heating systems different Power-to-X technologies will be analyzed and investigated by using an experimental demonstration plant. One component of the coupling between the energy and transport sector is the Power-to-Fuel concept, which includes the production of alternative fuels from renewable energies.
- Institute of Energy Economics at the University of Cologne (EWI)
- Fraunhofer Institute for Environmental, Safety, and Energy Technology UMSICHT
- Forschungszentrum Jülich (FZJ) – Institute of Energy and Climate Research: IEK-8, IEK-14, IEK-STE
- Gas- und Wärme - Institut Essen (GWI)
- Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB) - Lehrstuhl für Fluidverfahrenstechnik
- Wuppertal Institute for Climate, Environment and Energy
- The hydrogen and fuel cell center ZBT GmbH
November 2018 – July 2022
OP EFRE.NRW (Operational Programme for the Promotion of Investments in Growth and Employment for North Rhine-Westphalia from the European Regional Development Fund)
Ministry of Economic Affairs, Innovation, Digitalization and Energy of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia
The work of IEK-8 focuses on the evaluation, prioritization and utilization of alternative fuels with regard to combustion-related emissions. One of the key focuses is the experimental analysis of energy-related emissions concerning local air quality and photo-oxidant formation. We measure the car emissions under real driving conditions with our self-constructed PEMS (Portable Emission Measurement System). The system can be mounted onto the car’s back seat and measures NO, NO2, CO, CO2, N2O and total hydrocarbon (THC) emissions.