DAAD - Language and Practice in Japan
29 December 2022
The aim of the programme is to offer German graduates the opportunity to participate in a language and practice-oriented programme in Japan.
Eligible for application:
- Interested scientists with little or no experience of Japan who wish to pursue careers in the German-Japanese context.
- Applications from interested parties with already sound knowledge of Japan are also possible.
Prerequisite: At least a completed Bachelor's degree in the fields of computer science, natural sciences or engineering.
Applicants with professional experience may also apply.
Eligibility of applicants with foreign citizenship
Non-German students and graduates are eligible to apply if they are enrolled in a degree programme at a German higher education institution with the aim of obtaining a degree at the German higher education institution, or if they are studying for a doctorate at a German higher education institution and intend to go abroad during this time. This regulation does not apply to international students/doctoral candidates who are already supported by an "Incoming DAAD Scholarship" in Germany.
In addition, persons who have the same status as Germans may apply in accordance with § 8 Para. 1 No. 2ff, Para. 2, Para. 2a and Para. 3 BAföG. In this context, the wording of the law applies, to be found at https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/baf_g/__8.html
- a preparatory course in Japanese language and culture at the Japonicum of the LSI-Landesspracheninstitut at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum for applicants with little or no knowledge of Japanese.
- an approx. ten-month language course in Japan (at a language school selected by the DAAD), which is supplemented by excursions to the country and visits to research institutions and companies.
- a six-month internship in a Japanese or German-Japanese company, in an administrative institution or in a research institution (which conducts application-oriented research) in Japan.
- a monthly scholarship instalment, depending on the host countryTravel allowance
- Health, accident and personal liability insurance benefits
- Assumption of the costs of the Bochum preparatory course (incl. pocket money) for applicants with no previous knowledge of German
- Assumption of the costs of language tuition in Japana challenging accompanying programme
Application deadline: 31 January 2023
Link (German): https://www.daad.jp/de/sprache-und-praxis-in-japan/