FH Aachen: "Magnetic Biosensing"
Time: Monday 27.03.2023 - 26.06.2023, 09:15 – 11:45 (2 Lecture / 1 Exercise / 2 Practical: 5 ECTS)
Venue: FH Aachen University of Applied Sciences, Campus Jülich, 01A76
Lecturer: Hans-Joachim Krause (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Requirements for participation: Basic knowledge of physics and biosensors
Aims of the course: understanding the most common techniques in the field of magnetic biosensing and their applications. The underlying physics, the sensor principles and their properties are explained. Advantages and limitations of magnetic biosensing compared to other techniques are discussed.
Contents of the course:
- Fundamentals of magnetism: introduction to magnetic fields, magnetism of materials, magnetic induction
- Magnetic field sensors: Hall sensors, magnetoresistors, fluxgates, atomic magnetometers
- Superconducting Quantum Interference Devices (SQUIDs): Superconductivity, Josephson junctions, dc SQUID, rf SQUID, system issues
- Magnetic resonance (NMR, MRI): physical principles, applications of MRI in medicine, low field NMR and MRI
- Biomagnetism: principles, magnetocardiography (MCG), magnetoencephalography (MEG), other biomagnetic modalities
- Magnetic nanoparticles: synthetization, functionalization, magnetic detection, magnetic immunoassays
- Other magnetic biosensing applications: magnetic actuation, magnetic hyperthermia, magnetic particle imaging (MPI), transcranial magnetic stimulation, liver iron susceptometry
- Wilfried Andrä and Hannes Nowak: Magnetism in Medicine, Wiley-VCH 2007.
- Jaakko Malmivuo and Robert Plonsey: Bioelectromagnetism - Principles and Applications of Bioelectric and Biomagnetic Fields, Oxford University Press, New York 1995. Online: www.bem.fi/book
- John Clarke and Alex I. Braginski: The SQUID Handbook, Vol. I Fundamentals and Technology of SQUIDs and SQUID Systems, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim 2004.
- John Clarke and Alex I. Braginski: The SQUID Handbook, Vol. II Applications of SQUIDs and SQUID Systems, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim 2006.
Last Modified: 13.02.2023