Understanding the structure and function of complex biomacromolecular assemblies requires detailed knowledge of the three-dimensional architecture, the cellular context in addition to the detailed structural interactions of the individual molecular components. Therefore, we use an integrated structural electron microscopy approach including fluorescence-based methods to study biological structures with an emphasis on membrane-associated protein complexes. In particular, we focus our activities on membrane-trafficking processes of autophagy and endocytosis. Our main methods of investigation are single-particle electron cryo-microscopy (cryo-EM) as well electron cryo-tomography (cryo-ET) that we are developing to advance existing imaging technologies towards high-resolution structural biology.
- Junglas B., Huber S.T., Heidler T., Schlösser R., Mann D., Hennig R., Clarke M., Hellmann N., Schneider D. and Sachse C. PspA adopts an ESCRT-III-like fold and remodels bacterial membranes. (2021) Cell 184(14): 3674–3688.e18.
- Huber S.T., Mostafavi S., Mortensen S.A., Sachse C. Structure and assembly of ESCRT-III helical Vps24 filaments. (2020) Sci Advances 6(34): eaba4897.
- Jakobi A.J., Huber S.T., Mortensen S.A., Schultz S.W., Palara A., Kuhm T., Shrestha B.K., Lamark T., Hagen W.J.H., Wilmanns M., Johansen T., Brech A., and Sachse C. Structural basis of p62/SQSTM1 helical filaments and their role in cellular cargo uptake. (2020) Nat Commun 11(1):440.
- Jakobi, A. J., Wilmanns, M., and Sachse, C. Model-based local density sharpening of cryo-EM maps. (2017) eLife; 6:e27131
- Fromm, S.A., Bharat, T.A.M., Jakobi, A.J., Hagen, W.J.H., and Sachse, C. Seeing tobacco mosaic virus through direct electron detectors.(2015) J Struct Biol 189, 87–97. (Paper-of-the-Year Award 2018, J Struct Biol)
- Desfosses, A., Ciuffa, R., Gutsche, I., and Sachse, C. SPRING - an image processing package for single-particle based helical reconstruction from electron cryomicrographs. (2014) J Struct Biol 185, 15–26.