Introduction to Supercomputing at JSC - Theory & Practice (training course, online)
(Course no. 16620222 in the training programme 2022 of Forschungszentrum Jülich)
This course will take place as an online event. The link to the online platform will be provided to the accepted registrants only.
Through the John von Neumann Institute for Computing, Research Centre Jülich provides high-performance computing resources to scientific user groups from throughout Germany and Europe and to its industry partners. The aim of this course is to give new users of the supercomputers an introduction to the systems, such that they can make efficient use of their allocated resources.
The course will start with the upload of credentials to the systems before logging in for the first time. We then go on to explain how to navigate the systems and get the user's data and programs in place. By the end, participants will be running their first small computations on the supercomputers.
Theoretical lectures will be held in the afternoon from Monday to Thursday. To turn theory into practice tutorials will be offered in the mornings from Tuesday to Thursday, which cover some of the material from the preceding afternoon. In addition, we will offer an optional "Bring your own code" session on Friday, where you will have the opportunity to deploy and test your own software with support from JSC members.
You can select in the registration form which parts (theoretical or practical) of the course you wish to attend. We strongly suggest that registrants attend both parts.
Topics covered include:
- User account management with the JuDoor portal
- System access via SSH, Jupyter, and UNICORE
- System configuration for JURECA and JUWELS
- File systems, I/O, and data management
- Software modules (compilers, MPI, math libraries, applications, debuggers, tools)
- Building software from source
- Submitting jobs via the resource manager
- Using GPUs
- Performance tuning
- Your own laptop with Windows, GNU/Linux or macOS installed
- Knowledge of either C, C++ or Fortran (helpful)
New users of the supercomputers in Jülich
This course is given in English.
21-25 November 2022, starting on 21 November at 12:30
Tuesday to Thursday: 09:00-17:00
Number of Participants:
JSC employees, representatives of Atos, Intel and ParTec
- Institute for Advanced Simulation (IAS)
- Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC)