Guest Student Programme 2023
The IHRS BioSoft offers a guest student programme for Master's students in neuroscience, biology, chemistry, physics and related subjects. (In exceptional cases, also Bachelor students towards the end of their studies and students that have recently finished their Master studies can be accepted as guest students.) The guest students will mainly work on a project with one of our PhD students or a more advanced scientist from 22 July to 30 September 2023. Depending on the project, it may also be possible to start a stay of 8-10 weeks earlier in July. In addition, they will participate in an accompanying course program that includes lab courses and seminars in other IHRS BioSoft groups.
Applicants should be interested in interdisciplinary research, even if their research project is probably within one discipline. Further information about the research of our groups can be found here.
- Institutes that are particularly interesting for biologists are "Cellular Structural Biology", "Molecular and Cellular Physiology", "Bioelectronics", "Molecular Sensory Systems", "Mechanobiology", "Structural Biochemistry", "Neurobiology", "Structural Biology", "Biophysics (Aachen)", "Biophysics (Cologne)".
- Institutes that are particularly interesting for chemists are "Cellular Structural Biology", "Biomacromolecular Systems and Processes", "Theoretical Physics of Living Matter", "Molecular Sensory Systems", "Molecular Physical Chemistry", "Physical Chemistry", and "Structural Biochemistry", "Biophysics (Cologne)", and "Physical Chemistry of Complex Fluids".
- Institutes that are particularly interesting for physicists are "Biomacromolecular Systems and Processes", "Physics of Soft Matter", "Neutron Scattering and Biological Matter", "Theoretical Physics of Living Matter", "Bioelectronics", "Mechanobiology", "Structural Biology", "Physical Chemistry", "Biophysics (Aachen)", and "Biophysics (Cologne)".
To apply, please first register online (when the registration is open) and then submit
- your CV,
- your high-school certificate,
- your BSc certificate and transcripts (if not available, a list of courses attended including marks),
- your MSc transcripts (if applicable)
- a proof of student status for the time of the guest student programme 2023--if not yet available, a proof of student status for winter 2022/2023 (Students that are not EU citizens should preferably provide the proof using this Declaration of Certificate of Enrolment (in the form, check the box for "an internship related to the field of study"), where the expected end of study has to be after the end of the guest student programme.),
- your motivation letter (no longer than one page),
- and our application form (doc, 126 kB)
(This information is needed by our administration and will not be forwarded to the groups that finally decide about admission.)
preferably by email to email@example.com. By completing our online registration form, you will ask your BSc advisor, your MSc advisor, or a university professor for a letter of recommendation. If your certificates and transcripts are not written in English, German, or French, please submit a translation to English or German. There is no need for an official translation in case you also submit a scan of the original document. We recommend that you submit your CV and your motivation letter in English language.
We will provide financial support that covers accommodation costs and living expenses; a small number of travel grants is also available. Students that have applied or would like to apply for third-party funding and are interested in supervision are welcome to apply as well (~600 Euro per month for accommodation and ~300-400 Euro per month for additional living costs are required).
We expect students visiting groups located at the Forschungszentrum to reside in Jülich for the entire programme period. We will assist in finding accommodation and will reserve rooms at a guest house in Jülich. We regret that we cannot accept applications from students from the universities in Aachen, Cologne, and Düsseldorf for an IHRS-BioSoft group that is located at their home university.
Admission deadline: 15 May 2023
Do you want to receive emails when the applications for Guest Student Programme, IFF Spring School, Neutron Scattering Lab course, and IHRS BioSoft Symposium are open? Would you like to learn about virtual courses that we offer? Sign up our email list! To manage your subscription, email "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you may complete the registration form for the newsletter on our website.
@ Aachen, Bonn, Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Jülich